Image Map

June 9, 2011

All American Rag Wreath with a Cute Little Star!

 
Are any of you fabric junkies like me?  
Because once the word gets out that you are, you get fabric from all over the place just handed out to you!  And I am not complaining since I can usually find a use for it. But I have been hanging on to some fabric that had me scratching my head.  Not much you can do with stars and the fabric had a country, folky kinda vibe going which is not exactly my style.  But I knew if I used some vibrant 4th of July colors...I could make this fabric work for an easy 4th of July Rag Wreath. And I love that for me, this entire project was another one that cost me...ZERO DOLLARS.
I grabbed some wire wreath frames and began sorting red, white, and blue fabric.  
I cut them in to strips and began tying them around my wreath frame.
 I tied them in single knots in case I had a change of plans later.
 I also added burlap and red ticking to give it a summery feel with some texture. It also helped with the khaki color that made the star fabrics kinda country looking and even that color out.
I loved that it worked together beautifully.
 Next, I decided to make some stars out of the red ticking and make them into little cutie patootie stuffies to hang from fishing line on the inside of my wreath.
I used a light blue embroidery floss, stuffed them with a little poly fil, and blanket stitched them closed.
 The navy and star fabric turned into little rosettes for the striped stars so they would have "stars and stripes."
 Cute right?
Yet I always think stars look like they have arms and legs and the point sticking up is a head.  
Do any of you?  
Am I alone in this wacky thinking?
 I love how they warm up my front doors.  I have to tell you I was kind of sad taking down the ruffly white wreaths I made for Spring. But change is always good so you appreciate things more, right?
And I ended up putting them on the inside of my house on one set of french doors. 
Yay me.
 I hung the wreaths with extra red ticking and made little bow tie bows for them too.
Such an easy project and great for kids to help out too!


12 comments:

  1. I love this, I think this will be the new wreath for my front door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the wreaths & they look so cool on those doors! Super cute. I was thinking that it must have taken you awhile to tie all those knots & then I saw you made two!!! I like projects like that. Kinda putsy but & busy work. I like to have projects that I do while I watched what I dvred. :)

    These would make great gifts too! Or good sellers at a boutique :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute and no cash outlay, you can't beat that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shared this on my facebook page, I think its fantastic!

    Also, I wanted to invite you to be a featured guest blogger at my blog www.everydaymomideas.com
    I just love what you are doing here and want to help get the word out about your blog and think my readers would love to know more about your blog here. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you scheduled and send you more information.
    -Hope to hear from you soon.
    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the place setting. Where did you get the cute red flower plates?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to let you know that I'll be featuring your wreath tomorrow on my blog... so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! I love an awesome wreath and this one sure is

    I am having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party and hope you will join in on the fun!
    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2011/07/red-white-and-blue-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the wreath! About how long do you cut the material?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this & can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!