Image Map

June 10, 2011

A Little Foodie Fun for the Fourth!

This post needs little introduction. 
I just came up with fun food ideas and treats with a 4th of July theme.
I also share some how to's and maybe some funny mishaps along the way.
Enjoy! 


Berry Sweet Ice Cubes
You need an ice cube tray, blueberries, and strawberries cut into small pieces.
Just plop those berries in.  
(I used about 2 blueberries and 3-4 small pieces of strawberries)
When you are done...pop them in the freezer until set.

 All set!

Now pop them in a tall glass of lemonade.
Perfection.

Berry Kabobs with Yogurt Dipping Cups
Fill a small, single serve cup with vanilla yogurt.
Add blueberries, strawberries (maybe even raspberries and blackberries) on a 4 inch skewer.
 Oooh...add a some mint leaves too!
(I bet some granola for some crunch would be amazing too)
You now have some adorable red, white and blue (and a little green) single serve parfaits.

Star Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
 Bake some sugar cookies (or your favorite cookies) and cut them into star shapes.
 Pour some happy Red, White, and Blue Sprinkles on a plate!
 Scoop some ice cream on a cookie.

Smoosh another cookie on top to make a sandwich.
Dip it in the sprinkles.
Yummy 4th of July cookie sandwiches.
 Ice cream and cookies. Produces happy and somewhat hyper children. :)

 Flag Cookies On a Stick
 But these were so cute and since I did them with the girls I wanted to share.
Even though I did every bit of the icing and could totally lie to you and tell you they did it.
I try but I simply have zero skills in the cookie, cake, and cupcake decorating department.
I embrace this truth with humility.
I actually have a flag cookie cutter but I wanted mine on an actual stick so I just hand cut the flags and folded the end over a lollipop stick.
I just always make my cookies too thick so they end up looking like square pancakes.
Here is me waving my puffy flag.
 I am convinced some of you can do better and I hope if you make your own cookie flags, you will share your genius with me. :)

 Mini Ice Cream Stars
Now this one is not for the faint of heart.  I must say this little idea brewing in my head was harder to carry out in real life.  I should have kept it safely there in my head.  I wanted to make little mini ice cream cakes out of star cookie cutters.  I should have known cookie cutters work best with...you know...cookies.
I bought some ice cream and um...ate some before attempting this little food feat.
Have more restraint then me.
I tore the carton off around the ice cream...
Which left me with a vanilla ice cream block.
I then sliced it like bread  in order to use the cookie cutters to make the shapes.
Um, ya'll?  Ice cream melts.
And I mean fast.  If I could have vlogged this experience for you, I would have.  It would have been entertaining...I am sure of it.
As I hyperventilated, I started cutting out the stars with my cookie cutters.
And putting them on a cookie sheet like they were hot potatoes.
And this is when it got interesting.
So I started going in warp speed trying to get a bunch of stars on my cookies sheet and it was just not working. It was melting so fast! So I decided to throw EVERYTHING in the freezer and crank up the temp to the coldest setting.  I put the cutters, my knife, everything in the freezer and then tried again.
 Most stressful dessert I have ever prepared.
I do NOT recommend it.
 But I thought you would enjoy my attempt at creativity. :)


Well that concludes my 4th of July Idea Parade!  
This was so much fun and I hope you came away with some ideas for the fourth and ideas for the Summer.
I like that a lot of these are fun for both us adults and for the kids.
Did you like it?

Thank you for your comments, sweet encouragement and friendship!
You are in my heart!

XOXO!

Linking to:
Tatertots and Jello
Show and Tell Saturdays:  Be Different, Act Normal


19 comments:

  1. I LOVED it. :) And pinned many pictures.... and it's a shame that ice cream dessert didn't go over well - because I saw the pictures and was like - I MUST DO THAT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blueberry & strawberry ice cubes!! Adorable! Also love the kabobs as well!! Thanks for sharing these fun July 4th foods!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am SO doing the ice cream sandwiches. And the yogurt with fruit kabobs. And the fruit in the ice. Love it! I feel more patriotic {and hungry} already. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many wonderful ideas! I love it!

    Eva xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. BWA HA HA HA HA HA JESS!!!

    So I started reading the post and I'm like, Yes! Yum! I'm totally going to do that! And then I got to the flag cookies and I started laughing. And then I got to the ice cream star finale and I about peed my pants. BEST ENDING TO A POST EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! Fantastic ideas! Lots of work, but they sure would make your party darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK you came up with some spectacular stuff this week and thanks for showing up an oops so we know your human!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flag cookies on a stick are too fun! I love the ice cube idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am your newest follower! Great ideas for the 4th of July. And your blog has a great 'feel'- the photography, the fonts, the layout. It's so inviting!

    Thanks for stopping by to visit!
    :) crafty texas girls

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am now following you...this blog post really caught my eye...but your love of Jesus is what is so inviting for me...blessings, K Love for you to stop by Cooking With K!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All your ideas are fabulous! Especially love the ice-cream sandwich with the sprinkles!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am SOOO inviting myself to your 4th of july celebration! Brian enjoyed your flag cookie disclaimer as much as I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clever girl, you are officially invited to our 4th of July parties. Both Rach and I have one, so there is a lot of partying to do here. You can just show up, I will make all your adorable food. (how would those ice cream starts ever make it from way down there???) I will make Libbie help me, she is so not crafty or a baker but somehow she always pulls it off so all will be good. Love your ideas, thanks for sharing, I love the Target brand sugar cookie dough for when I am in a hurry, and it puffs up too. Lovin your puffy stars, and from here, they were skinny minnie's! And I have 100 sucker sticks left over from graduation cake pops!

    Have a good week,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say I just smiled and smiled reading your last couple of posts with the ice cream and the cookie decorating!! Very real and very me!! Looks like fun and I am sure they tasted great no matter what :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOve the IDEA though! The point is you tried and put in the effort! Way to go! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the flag cookies... I mean, doesn't everything taste better and look cuter on a stick?! Thank you for sharing your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found your blog. LOVE IT! You mention your icing catastrophes which made me think you'd appreciate this: http://pinterest.com/pin/95420085824557634/

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!