Image Map

June 7, 2011

DIY 4th of July Sparkler Cupcake Picks : Good Living Magazine Project 2

If I could marry a craft, it would be this one.  For real.  I love these little cupcake picks so much.  I mean, who doesn't love sparklers?  As a young girl, I remember how excited (and slightly terrified) I was holding the real ones on the 4th.  I would be stare at it and then get braver, spinning them in circles and delighting in such a fun celebration. Making these brought back sweet summer memories for me and I think this might be a fun one worth repeating.
All you need: 
Silver Crochet Thread (by Red Heart Fashion purchased at Wal Mart), 4 inch skewers, scissors, and hot glue.
This is like making a pom pom...wrap around three fingers 40-50 times.
Gently slide the loops off and place them on top and in the middle of a length of the thread.
Tie it securely with a double knot twist it to be back and do it again.
Cut the loops on either end.
It will look like this.  Without the loops I missed before taking this shot. Oops.

After a little dab of hot glue on the blunt end, slide the skewer inside the knot and hold until set. 
Fluff it out.
Look at this adorable cupcake pick?  I love that it has just the right sparkle to make it look real!
I made six of these and they took me about 10-15 minutes.


They totally make me happy!  What do you think? 
Thanks for peeking in on Day 2 of my...




15 comments:

  1. So cute & so easy!! This is my kinda of project!! It really looks like a little sparkler!! LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. I also love the sippy cup idea. I will have to try it when we get home from our vacay.

    In response to your comment: The IKEA in Tampa is actually the one we are going to visit. :) Thanks for asking how I am feeling. I am 23 weeks and doing great! Little Eli has been kicking like crazy which is so reassuring.

    Very excited about your July 4th ideas!
    ~Jennifer Dawn from http://thelifeofjenniferdawn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. omgosh Jess!!!i LOOOVVVEEEE THESE!!!! My FIL
    B day is on the 4th of July!! We are not going to be there this Year for it But God willing Next year we are and I am SO Doing these for him!!
    You are a Genius!! Genius I say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!!!! I love it! Any suggestions for making our puppy an Uncle Sam costume for the 4th? He just "needs" one so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally crack me up. I love that you are such a dork. I just hope the hubs doesn't get too jealous and do something crazy like wrap himself up in silver thread as he competes with sparkly crafts for your affections!!! As always- Cute cute!
    Xo
    Jenn N

    ReplyDelete
  6. jessica these are so cute and great spin on the cupcake topper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you mind if I pin this on Pinterest? So cute! I wanna remember this! tweeting right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ACK!!! These are so cute!! I'm saving this tutorial! I have to do this for the 4th!! Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

    Are you on facebook?? I'm sharing this on my page!

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/AliLilly/143219392358021

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute idea! Would love to share on my blog this coming week! Hope that's okay??
    RM, Home Confetti
    http://homeconfetti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just snooping through your posts & HOW did I miss this one! SUPER CUTE!!! These totally look like sparklers! I love how the pics are up in the air instead of normal cake toppers. I am thinking I might need to make some cupcakes :) & some sparklers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sparkler picks are super cute, but the cupcakes are awesome! How did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I love these pom poms but I just have to say that your wedding ring set is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE these! I'm now following you and going to the store so I can make these with my boys! Thanks for sharing these! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!