Image Map

June 14, 2011

Father's Day T-Shirts

 
I had no idea what I was going to do for Father's Day this year.  Not for all the dad's in my life or for my husband. No clue. So when inspiration struck, I was so glad it was not too scary, could be done in a day, and best of all?  The girls could help.


Let me tell you a little bit about my family.  My parents divorced when I was 6 months old and both remarried a few years later.  I am so thankful that God put these people in my life for a myriad of reasons but one is that as an only child, I then gained 3 brothers and a sister.  They are all step-siblings but I don't really remember a time not knowing them.

So through this blended family there are many kids.  My stepfather had 2 kids and between the two of them I have 3 nieces and 3 nephews.  My stepmother also had 2 kids and between those 2, I have 2 nephews.  Do you have all that straight?? It is a lot. I know.

So.  I decided to make t-shirts for all the grandfather's for father's day with their GRANDFATHER name.
WARNING:  
I am not a professional.  
I am a messy girl with paint and tend to be impatient. 
Do not look directly at imperfections and embrace the IDEA of it all. 
I also think imperfections add to the homemade aspect and it is sorta sweet.
 My Dad is Poppy.
My Father-in-law is Paw Paw. 
My Step-Dad is Papou.
 And then there is my husband.  The sweetest Daddy to my two girls.
All I did was go to Michael's and purchase some plain t- shirts and fabric paint.  Make sure you slide a piece of cardboard inside the shirt before painting.  I forgot to do this on the first one.  Woops!

Using stencils with several different fonts, I painted their names with fabric paint.  
  Also, for a little fun I put an EST. 2006 or whatever year the first grandchild was born of that specific grandfather. It's a funny touch and I hope they get it. Sometimes my humor hangs out in the dangerous realm of nerdy and no one gets me.  I know YOU all do. It's why I love you so.
I had the girls put their hand print on the back of each shirt. 
Cati signed her own name and I signed Ella's with the year. 
I am sending these t-shirts along with more fabric paint to each grandparent so the other grandkids can put their hand prints on the back and sign their names. 
I hope they all find it as special as I do. If it were me, I would wear it proudly with oodles of love in my heart. There is nothing like the the nostalgic gifts, right?
Hugs my dear friends!

21 comments:

  1. What a great (cute, cheap, fun) idea! I just might have to steal it :) Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm yeah .... this is awesome! Love it! I know my dad would wear it. :-)

    Miss you friend! Your blog is getting so huge! And I love the design. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea!! Who doesn't love a homemade gift anyway?! So sweet! I think the poppy one is my favorite!! :) I'm sure all of the men in your family are going to love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! they will be thrilled! Bless your creative heart :) No one had any doubt you'd come up with a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can i just come over to your house whenever you craft and tag along? I don't know how you find the time! I'll pitch in for the extra supplies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well they certianly look professional! I like hearing about your family, thanks for sharing that! I think I packed my husband's fathers day card! I have no idea where it is, I hope he understands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, they are great.

    Have a nice evening.
    Katharina
    www.deko-impressionen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I needed one too, I will so be doing these;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jess, they are so PERFECT! I don't know a dad or grandpa who wouldn't be proud to wear those! I like the messy look too, makes it kind of vintage. By the way, they didn't look messy to me! You always amaze me girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my ...I wish you could get a group pic with all those men in your life. What a blessing to have lots of loving men in your daughter's lives! I know they will be good looking in these cutie cute cute shirts! Wear 'em proud boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica! What a happy surprise to learn your children have a Papou! I myself am half Greek (my dad) and half Scottish (my mom), so my daughter, Zoe, has a Papou!

    Great shirts!

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess, these turned out so cute! Love them! And I'm sure the recipients will too.

    Hugs,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea, Jess! Reminds me of the shirts my sisters and I used to make for, well, everyone with puffy paint. Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable! I love handmade gifts- especially ones that you can wear!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the perfect imperfectness of it all. and i got the date thing straight up. great minds.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE these t-shirts!
    what a great idea.
    hugz,
    cheryl xox.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! How did you do the white brushing on the shirts around/through the letters?

    ReplyDelete
  18. really cute and i love that they are so personalized!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are adorable. The perfect gift!
    QUESTION??? Like Heather above, I was wondering how you did the white brushed effect on the shirts and through the lettering...did you just use a paint brush????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debie! Yes! I just used a paint brush and dry brushed the paint for a little distressed look. :)

      Delete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!