Image Map

June 29, 2010

Two Tips Tuesday: Pretty Little Clothespins and Pom Pom Flowers



Tip #1: Pom Pom Flowers

I have been wondering how to make these flowers ever since I saw them in an issue of Coastal Living Magazine.  It was in the background and rather subtle but I loved them!  They were purpley, full of whimsy and fun, and added just the right simplicity to be so very ME! I had it in my head on how to do them but then I came across this amazing and simple tutorial and I knew I had to pass along this fun find to all of you. Everything about the blog  Domestifluff is amazing so be sure to check it out. 

The above picture is mine (and I made that vase years ago...like 12 or 13...in one of those great pottery painting places.  Who knew I would still use it this long?) and I chose to make my pom poms a bit longish since I liked the look.  This was super easy and super fun and it looks just fabulous on my table! 


Tip #2:  Pretty Little Clothespins 

Disclaimer:  To all of you seasoned crafters...yes, I am aware that this has been done before and you may have already seen it.  But maybe many of you are like me and love to see the same craft with a different spin. So I put a fun little organizational element into this one...

Are any of you like me and drawn in by ordinary things made super duper pretty?  Okay, because me too.  And I have wanted to make pretty clothespins with pretty paper for a pretty long time.

I am getting pretty repetitive.

So I whipped out some scrap scraps and had a blast!  Here is what you need...
Pretty paper  
(ok.  enough)
Clothespins
Mod Podge
Paintbrush
Nail File

1.  First you need to pull all the clothespins apart and remove the springs.
2.  Trace the top of the clothespin on paper and cut it out. There are different ways to do this but this is the way I did it.
3.  Use the paintbrush or fingers to coat Mod Podge the top of the clothespin. Smooth with fingers and add a finishing coat.
4.  I used the nail file to kind of sand the paper edges down to create a more finished and organic look.  I like that it ended up slightly distressed.
5.  Let it dry and just pop the springs back using one that is already assembled as a guide.

Easy peasy and you can use them for anything!
I am actually not finished with this blue and green set.  I am either going to put numbers on them or add cute little sayings like tasty, mmmmm, yum, and sweet.  I like the sayings idea the best.


This one was fun.  I had this scrap paper that had the days of the week on it with all these cute little chores and things.  So I decided to make Days of the Week Clothespins for some organizing flair.  They turned out so cute!  I love that Saturday has a glass of lemonade and Sunday has a pile of books with a cup of tea on it. 

If the pictures are hard for you to see...

Monday: Dusting polish and cloth that says "dust me"
Tuesday: Vacuum
Wednesday: Van that says "mom's taxi"
Thursday: Bags of groceries
Friday: Broom and dustpan (I could not fit the laundry basket on there!)

I made some for the 4th of July but forgot to take pics.  Here are some dark ones so you can get the idea...(the fun 4th of July printable is from here)...



Happy Tuesday Friends!

10 comments:

  1. LOVE the clothespins and the pom pom flowers! No, I have never seen the clothespin idea before, it is adorable! Thank you so much Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE pompom flowers an pretty clothespins!!
    i use my pins to keep my potato chips fresh!! i stop buying bag clips lol
    love ya!
    keren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the pom-pom flowers are nice, but the clothespins ... they're "pretty" cool and I can't wait to make some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pompom flowers! Yours look so professional! Love them. I have never seen how to make the clothes pins. So those are cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The clothes pins are awesome! I want to make some. Of course, wanting and doing are always on opposite coastlines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i had never seen how to make these before!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I
    will be waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.
    Also see my page :: backup camera

    ReplyDelete
  8. Veгy gоοd poѕt! We will be linking to this grеаt post on our website.
    Κeep up the gοod wгіting.


    My hоmepage; cognitive function
    Also visit my blog post ... what is a nootropic

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love doing the clothespins! I recently made many and hot glued beads, jewels, letters. I dropped off packs off four at a local consignment place and they ALL sold! $4 for 4! Won't become a millionaire, but can't wait to maybe one day see my craft on a gift bag someplace around town!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!