Image Map

November 13, 2009

What's a Promise?

So on the way home from AWANA Cubbies the other night, Cati tells me she made me a picture and it is in her bag. I pull it out and see this rainbow with the phrase "God makes a promise." I tell Cati how wonderful her picture is and then decide to make this a moment to learn.

"Cati, do you know what the word promise means?"

" Yes."

"Really? What does promise mean?"

"It's like a circle."


Whoa. I had to let that sink in because she seemed to be going a little deeper than what I was prepared for. Then I figured she meant that a rainbow is like a circle. I had no idea but I was definitely fearful in that moment that my 3 year old was beginning to show signs of an intellect that vastly surpasses my own.

"A circle?"

"Yes. A circle."

"How is a promise like a circle?"

"Because it is round like a circle."

OK. Time to move on from the philosophical circle.

"Cati, a rainbow is a promise from God. He gave us a rainbow after the flood when Noah built the ark. Do you remember that story?"


"Mmmm hmmm."

Well, a promise means that when someone says they will do something they will really do it. Like, if I told you Mommy promises to give you a popsicle, I will give you a popsicle. Because Mommy keeps her promises. And God ALWAYS keeps His promises.

My child lights up like a birthday candle. "A POPSICLE?"

"Yup."

Silence fills the car and only the sound of the radio playing and the hum of the tires ensues. Then...

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Cati?"

"I PROMISE I will
eat that popsicle."


Ahhhh. Lesson learned.

3 comments:

  1. How awesome!! I taught my girls about the promise of the rainbow when they were younger. Now as teenagers, pray for me, they will run to see a rainbow after a rain. I love your blog and am now a follower. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just followed a link from shabbyblogs and ended up here reading about your adorable conversation with your daughter. Love her thought process! Made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!