Image Map

October 6, 2009

Two Tips Tuesday

TIP #1: A Bookcase Gets a New Job

So I have been re-decorating. I would actually call it post nesting. Specifically, for Cati's room. Ever since she came home to us, her room has been the one we initially did when we became foster parents. It was gender neutral in a happy yellow and I stenciled happy words all over the place. Obviously, it was happy.

But we never changed it until now. And I have wanted to change that room and make it all Cati's own with her personality. So last week we changed it. This all started when Ella kept climbing on Cati's toddler bed and then falling off of it. The kid knows no fear. So last Thursday I called hubby and said we need a bed TONIGHT! We got it and started the transformation. Hubby had already painted the room pink the weekend we were in Disney. I am so excited to do a before and after reveal in a future post but my anal retentive self has to be sure it is COMPLETELY done before I do that. But these pics will give you a sneak peek.

In a very momentary stroke of creativity, I realized I could reuse this bookcase my dad and I built together when I first lived alone in my own apartment. I always kept it because it was a nifty little shelf in a kitchen or bathroom or other small area.


Excuse the mess. We had just hauled out the toddler bed to put her twin bed in. Anyway, this is the shelf which had her books on it. And every day my Ella would pull every one she could reach out and on the floor.

See it tucked in that corner? Well that is where we put her bed now.

So I flipped the bookcase on its side and took those bins out of the wire cubes (see above pic again), put them in those slots and put it here in front of the bed as a bench. I plan on making a little custom, flat pillow but we shall see how creative Jess will swing that with her schedule. Turned out pretty cute, right? I figure lots of people could do this with a shelf at home. And IKEA probably already has come up with this on some furniture but mine was totally off the cuff. So there.

TIP #2: Reuse for Zipper Packages


I hate throwing things away that may have a possible use in the future. And I must confess that it is not because I am green. I just love containers. If all things were contained I think I would feel peace like a river. (If you know it, I bet you are singing' it. Tee hee. I dare you to write out the whole song in a comment). Wow. Am I brilliant at going on and on completely off topic or what?

So. Since I am in the organizational mood, I see a theme occurring on today's tips. Those pouches came from other products and I saved them. The yellow one is from a kids dinner set and I loved the packaging. I ended up putting Mr. Potato (I so just spelled that with an E and deleted it. Call me Mrs. Quayle) Head and parts in there because Ella will eat one of those things if I am not watching. No, not choke. Eat it. The other bag has puzzles. And again, Ella is known to take a piece and chew it beyond recognition. And yes, she has been cleared for vitamin deficiencies and pica. She is just weird but I am her mom so go figure. The other bag is what Cati's pillow sham came in. I LOVE THOSE BAGS. Glory be, they have zippers!!!!! Not only are things contained but they stay that way. Gotta love that. So here are other ways I use them...

  • Baby items I want to save but do not need like new bibs, infant toys, shoes in good shape, crib sheets, etc.
  • Linens to store like seasonal tablecloths, towels, napkins.
  • Store party supplies, bathroom odds and ends and even seasonal accessories like scarves, gloves and knit hats.
  • Craft supplies
  • Extra toiletries for guests or just in spare supply
  • Beach toys, art supplies, play doh
  • Great little see through container for baking supplies like sprinkles, cookie cutters, icing bags, etc.

Things that come in sturdy, vinyl, plastic bags are sheets, pillowcases, shams, crib bedding, comforters, curtains, and toys. I also sometimes will flip the label over to the white side to label them because I tend to forget. And my geeky self will label them from the computer too.

What would you use those bags for?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so relieved that I am the first to comment, because I CANNOT walk away from a dare... especially if it allows me to showcase my brilliant VBS/Sunday school upbringing. here goes:
    I've got peace like a river!
    I've got peace like a river.
    I've got peace like a river in my soul.
    I've got peace like a river.
    I've got peace like a river.
    I've got peace like a river in my soul.

    I've got joy like a fountain.
    I've got joy like a fountain.
    I've got joy like a fountain in my soul.
    I've got joy like a fountain.
    I've got joy like a fountain.
    I've got joy like a fountain in my soul.

    I've got love.... just kidding! I don't even know if the fountain part is right, but I'm going with it.

    Love your tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
    Why am I not shocked that it was you???

    I've got love like an ocean.
    I've got love like an ocean.
    I've got love like an ocean in my soul.

    And did you do the hand motions too?

    Is this the reason Christians are considered nerds? Is it because we are taught to sing songs like this and then we add hand motions to them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband looked at me like I had 2 heads when he discovered the pile of those zippered bags from all sorts of different products I had stacked in our guest bedroom closet. What can I say, those things come in handy at the randomest times!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!