Image Map

May 20, 2011

Fabric Coil Coasters : I ♥ Green!

I have this thing about crafting useful things.  Pretty things that are useful make me exuberantly happy. Period. And I always want to incorporate fabric in my crafting if at all possible. 

Enter in:  These fabulous GREEN coasters.

I have seen this type of craft done with a sewing machine before but my instant gratification self...who is still frightened of her sewing machine...decided her pal the glue gun would be much more user friendly.  I am actually completely in love with the sewing version where you can make fabric bowls (how cool is that?) so here is the tutorial that inspired this one over at Craft Stylish.
For these particular coasters, I was feeling the color GREEN.  So I gathered as much green fabric as I could that would work together, cut them into thin strips, and grabbed a plastic clothesline purchased from the dollar store.  I recommend using the cotton ones (if you are sewing this, the sewing needle needs to go through the clothesline) but I am cheap wisely frugal and I figured this one would work just fine.  Plus...all the green would blend.
STEP 1:  
1.  Place a dot of hot glue on the end of your clothesline.
2.  Begin with a strip of fabric and begin wrapping.
3.  Wrap it on an angle to make it tight with no gaps.
STEP 2:
1. You will start and finish each individual strip with a dot of hot glue. 
2. I found it easier to wrap down the clothesline with each strip and alternated different fabrics for interest.
3. To start each coil you bend down the end and then begin creating a coiled circle around it.
4. I then coiled it up using hot glue as I went to secure it.
STEP 3:When you have it made it the size you need, cut your line on an angle so it will lay flat when you glue it against the coil. 
Now you are done!

Here are the finished coasters.
I like how they are each different and end up with a unique pattern.

Have a Sweet and Blessed Weekend Friends!

32 comments:

  1. So cute! I absolutely love all the greens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius! I love the colour and I sooo love the no-sew part! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them! You should try to make something bigger like a basket. We did some at the quilt shop I worked at. So much fun (hahaha) We were testing the strength of the sewing machines we sold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess does it again! Love em. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a great idea! I have been needing some coasters and trying to think of what to do. I know now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! Love them and I can't wait to make them!! I'm seeing these as gifts for lots of people in the near future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. I love these. I wish I would actually make them though. So great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you back! This and your last project made me so :)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing tutorial....they look cute

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Rosabellebyvasu

    ReplyDelete
  10. so cute...wanna try these! i love when things are the same color but different...fun! great job!
    ♥J. sevensisters

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute!! I love the colors that you chose! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute!! Your pics are always so pretty! Do you take them in the same spot everytime? What type of lighting do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these! I like the colors too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love them! they remind me of those old-fashioned swirl lollipops.

    and oh my goodness, jess! i live in elkton. grew up in rising sun. i used to work in havre de grace. we SO could have eaten at DuClaw! if you're up this way again, message me for sure!!! it gives me goosebumps that you were that close!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very cool - thanks for sharing.
    mrs c. xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are way too cute!! :) Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How awesome! I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So Cool! i can't believe it's no-sew!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are really awesome and would make great gifts.. love the color choice that you made too!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing! I was just thinking to myself that I need some more coasters and I think these would be fabulous.

    I've never been to your site before, but your stuff looks great and I'm your newest follower.

    Carissa @ Carissa's Creativity Space

    ReplyDelete
  21. using a glue gun and the fresh greens brought this project up-to-date -- love it!

    I also love to craft useful and practical things! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amei, coloquei um link no meu blog dest post.
    http://donnagigica.blogspot.com/2011/10/descanso-de-panela.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. making these today with an old clothesline and some fabric I was going to give away. Now I will give it away as a nice gift instead! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are adorable! Can anyone give an estimate of how much fabric will be needed? I don't want to buy tons of fabric I don't need and I don't have any scraps around the house. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These coasters are adorable! I really like them and want to make something simlar for my own future home!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  26. You can find numerous reasons people prefer to have a gay sizegenetics. When you are interested by one, take care that you are doing each and every research to find the one that works the simplest for you. Make sure you know what style sizegenetics you like and be positive you ought to are spelling out your expectations so they know just what you are expecting and what you're looking out of this specific experience.Whatever state in America now has sizegenetics professionals who cater to men specifically. Additionally, your search would definitely be complicated because you will find different styles of gay sizegenetics.
    http://buysizegeneticsonline.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job. Plan to make some of these coasters and a bigger one this week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I saw this tutorial and wanted to do this tonight with a "retired" old green and white tablecloth. I didn't have any cord, but realized I could use some of the many feet of telephone cord I have accumulated over the years and repurpose in other ways. It worked great! Thanks for the no-sew, practical project! --Jo Anne

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Jessica! Thank you so much for sharing this! I've always wanted to learn that!

    ReplyDelete
  30. As a designer I often wondered what to do with discontinued fabric books...great idea to suggest to teachers and club members as a project!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!