Image Map

October 8, 2013

Paper Bag Apple Pie


So as promised I told you I would show you my pie. Isn't that the craziest name for a pie?  I came across this recipe in a magazine years ago, copied it down and made it because I was so intrigued by the title. You literally bake it inside a paper bag. I tried it and it has become a family favorite.


It is similar to an apple crumb pie so there is no magic to this recipe except the paper bag. But it makes the top crunchy and the bottom all juicy and tender. It's so good!

But I also thought it would be great to make this into a kit to give as a hostess or teacher gift. Especially around the holidays.  I will show you that one this week too!

Paper Bag Apple Pie
Bake at 425°  for 50 minutes (maybe less, maybe more)

Apple Mixture:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tablespoons flour
3-4 granny smith apples
1 pie crust ♥

Pie Shell 
♥I have to admit I would rather buy one at the store in the freezer section so it is faster but that's just me. I love homemade but I'm all about a quick dessert even more. But this one tastes great and its easy since you just press it into the bottom like a tart instead of rolling it out.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
Beat first three ingredients together until smooth.  On low speed, slowly add your flour flour.  Shape dough into a ball and press it into the bottom of a pie plate and up the sides.


Crumb Topping
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter

Peel and cut your apples and pour the apple mixture in with the apples.  Stir well. Pour your apples into your pie shell.  Combine your crumble topping and plop over your apples.  I got a little too zealous mixing mine together and it became like dough.  Still tasted great.

Place inside your paper bag and seal it by folding over the edge of a cookie sheet and placing it vertically in the oven.  I would check it after 40 minutes to be sure you don't burn the crust. Like I did. I left it in for an hour.  Too long.  I think 50 minutes should work depending on your oven.

Let cool and enjoy with some vanilla ice cream! Seriously, it tastes so good.
I will show you how to make this into a fun kit to give as a hostess or teacher gift in the next few days.

16 comments:

  1. This recipe looks SO good and I can't wait to bake in a bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm book marking this! I almost always buy the frozen shells. I hate rolling out dough because I'm not good at it. Ha-ha- how vain is that? My DIL says the key is to do it quickly and quick just isn't my style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Looks great. Printing so I can try it with some apples we picked this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy yumminess!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica! My name is Maira and I'm from Brazil. I've been following your blog for a while and I love it! This pie looks incredible and I will try to make it for sure! Do you mind if I translate this recipe to Portuguese and post it in a blog of my own that I've just started? Of corse I'll give your blog the credits! Hope to hear from you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These apple pie posts are making me HUNGRY! Looks delicious and I love the food photography. Seriously... it makes me want to grab a piece off the screen. P.S. I need glasses, and when you typed "isn't that the craziest name for a pie" I honestly read it the first two times "isn't that the COZIEST name for a pie". Which I really think it is. Makes me cozy at least! Gotta try this one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. No! Isn't that crazy?? I thought it would too but it works! Just don't put it too close to the top or bottom. Right in the middle should work perfect!

      Delete
    2. I have heard to use a paper bag in the oven it should say recyclable on the bottom of the bag. Just a tip..

      Delete
  8. I always make an apple pie for Thanksgiving. Just seems right! This one looks interesting and will have to try it. I use Granny Smith apples too but if I could ever find a MacIntosh in Las Vegas I'd probably replace with them. This recipe would be good for a beginner to try, your pics are great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting I've never heard of baking a pie in a paper bag. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to share this on my facebook page tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please be very careful with the bags. Mine touched the top of the oven and once it caught it fire it just turned into a nightmare, thank God my husband is a quick thinker and got it under control

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this reminder. I have baked this numerous times without issue but it is important to mention that your oven rack should be in the middle and nowhere near the heating element. Thank you again for the safety reminder and to exercise wisdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds great. It reminds me of a few years ago when there were recipes on the internet for how to roast your Thanksgiving turkey in a brown paper bag that had been greased with shortening. It turned out really good and moist and I trust that this apple pie will too. I am going to try it. I love your crust recipe, not having to roll it out is a real bonus. So I will be using that recipe for several different pies. Thank you so much. Oh, one other thing, when you said put it vertically in the oven, what were you referring to? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeri! Great question! I meant having the opening if the bag in front and the bottom of the bag in the back to facilitate keeping the bag tucked under between the cookie sheet and oven rack. So basically the cookie sheet goes in with the short sides at the front and back vs putting it with the long sides front and back. :) Does that make sense? Thanks for all your kind words too. :) I have never tried a turkey in a bag! I wonder if it gives the skin some crisp too while keeping the inside moist. Love it!

      Delete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!